Monday 29 November 2010

Ode To A Burns Victim Remembered

I hide behind this mask of mine

I pretend everything is always fine

Show everyone what seems to be a great day

But deep down the sorrow never goes away

No matter how much these good times last

I can never escape from the past



The nightmares have visited me again

Creeping back, what was once then

They hound me and then I can never forget

These dark demons inside my head are set

Trying to put away what I had to go through

Wishing that that event in the past was not true



So I try to write to escape a long forgotten fire

And the pain that still makes this feeling so dire

So alone I put these hands up to my head

Going through all this is better than being dead

Suppose I am lucky to hide the scars I wear

When I show then so many people just stare



After all this time, thought I would get over it

After all this time, I still feel like shit

I might have been the victim of that crime

But I feel I am the one who has done the time

All I can ever do is be able to tell my story

I am the one who was left feeling sorry



So hard for anyone to know how I feel

Given time there will be a time to heal

Sometimes I want to reach out and feel someone there

Just be able to mind a moment with someone to share

So many friends help for this life to be less empty

So many friends to join in with my poetry





copyright Chris Smith 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment